Made a mistake the other day and deleted a users account from SBS Server Mngmt before make a backup of the users .pst in Outlook. And, of course, there was info that was needed on the users contact list. I searched through the SBS NG and Microsoft for a solution. Came close on Microsoft but didn't get the complete answer.
Well, thanks to Lanwench for posting a link to an article that solved the problem. Here's what she said:
Create a new user in ADUC. Do not mail-enable it. You can connnect this user to the old mailbox.See http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Recovering_Lost_Mailboxes.html for more help.
I also used the info in this Microsoft doc:
The Users mailbox is now restored.
Ya' know what's worse... Read the post below. I didn't follow my own procedures!! Whoops. Oh well, live and learn.